Effective lightning protection involves the integration of several concepts. ERICO employs the Six Point Plan of Protection as a useful guide to ensure the highest level of system security.
1. Capture the lightning strike
Capture the lightning strike to a known and preferred attachment point using a purpose-designed air terminal system.
2. Convey this energy to ground
Conduct the energy to ground via a purpose-designed downconductor.
3. Dissipate energy into the grounding system
Dissipate energy into a low impedance grounding system.
4. Bond all ground points together
Bond all ground points to help eliminate ground loops and create an equipotential plane.
5. Protect incoming AC power feeders
Protect equipment from surges and transients on incoming power lines to help prevent equipment damage and costly operation downtime.
6. Protect low voltage data/telecommunications circuits
Protect equipment from surges and transients on incoming telecommunications and signal lines to help prevent equipment damage costly operation downtime.
If you found this article helpful or interesting, please share it!